If you’re anything like us, you get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you hear Perry Como crooning the lyrics to “Home for the Holidays.” That classic Christmas song remains a favorite because its message rings true, more than 60 years after it was first recorded. There’s truly no place like home during the holiday season. Cold weather and shorter days have us all in the mood to stay inside and spend time with our loved ones. Here at Realty One, we know just how important your home is to you, we help hundreds of people each year find their perfect home in Winston-Salem and the surrounding areas.
In the spirit of the season, we thought we’d share a few of our favorite decorating tips to help you spruce up your home this holiday season. A wreath on the door and warm candles on the mantle are a welcome invitation for friends and family to come inside and enjoy the warmth and comfort of your beautiful home.
Holiday Decorating Ideas
Adorn the door. Nothing is more striking than a dark green wreath with a big red bow. Look for fresh wreaths at local tree lots, where they’ll often make wreaths to sell from the scraps cut from recently purchased trees. When you get home, hang it on the door with a magnetic hook to avoid doing any damage to your front door.
Bring the outside in. There’s so much more you can do to decorate with greenery in addition to a live tree. Take the trimmings from your Christmas tree and use them to make a beautiful candle wreath. All you need is some florists oasis to use as a base, and then stick short cuttings of pine or even holly and boxwood around a grouping of candles. And don’t forget the magnificent magnolia found in many of our neighborhoods. These glossy evergreen leaves look beautiful on mantles or arranged around a candle on your dining room table.
Let the whole house be festive. Rather than relegating all your decorating to one room, spread the joy throughout the house. It doesn’t take much to get other rooms in a festive spirit. A few holiday towels in the bathrooms, a small tree in the bonus room and a wreath above the master bed will turn your house into a holiday wonderland.
Share the warmth. You know how much you love driving around and seeing the festive, twinkling lights of other people’s decorations. Why not let your own home be one of those people look forward to driving by? You don’t have to go all out with a big light display to add some sparkle to the dark of winter. A few strands of lights hung around your front door or electric candles in the window are a nice touch to brighten up these early evenings.
Safety Tips for the Holiday Season
- Once you have all your favorite decorations up, you want to make sure everything is safe and sound throughout the season. Here are a few tips:
- Keep your tree watered and away from heat sources. Dry needles can easily catch a spark from hot lights. If you have an artificial tree, make sure it’s fire resistant.
- Check all your lights before use, both indoor and outdoor. Look for frayed wires and loose connections, and discard strings of lights that can’t be fixed. Be sure to unplug lights before replacing bulbs or doing repairs.
- Keep poinsettias out of reach of kids and pets. These flowers are beautiful but poisonous when ingested.
- Make sure to turn off all lights and extinguish all your candles before going to bed at night.
We know your home looks beautiful for the holidays, and with these safety tips you’ll be able to enjoy it for many days to come. From Realty One, we wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.